Goan Vindaloo (Goan Pork Dish)
• 1 kg lean pork cleaned
• 10 cloves garlic
• 1 inch piece ginger
• 10 dried red chillies/peppers
• 10 peppercorns
• 8 cloves
• 1 inch piece cinnamon
• 1 tsp cumin seeds
• ½ mustard seeds
• 2 medium onions, chopped fine
• ½ tsp sugar
• ½ tsp vinegar
• 2 tbsp oil
• ½ peg coconut feni
• 2 cups water
• Salt as per taste
- Cut the cleaned pork into ½ inch sized pieces.
- Apply salt and keep aside.
- Grind all the spices and blend it with vinegar, adding the ½ tsp sugar.
- Apply the ground spices to the meat and marinate for 3 hours.
- Heat the oil in the pan on medium heat and add the meat.
- Fry the meat for few minutes, then add the chopped onion, coconut feni, rest of the vinegar and the water gradually.
- Cover the pan and lower heat. Stir cook till meat is tender and the oil rises to the top.
Note: Chicken or beef can also be used in the recipe given for Pork Vindaloo. Though the authentic recipe and flavour is with Pork.